ato logo
Search Suggestion:

Undeducted purchase price – foreign source pensions objections

Documents you need to provide when objecting to a decision about undeducted purchase price of a foreign source pension.

Last updated 3 July 2017

We need specific documents and information to process an objection to our decision about the (UPP) of a foreign source pension.

Providing this information up front will reduce delays.

If you wish to lodge an objection to our decision about the UPP of a foreign source pension, you'll need to:

  • complete and submit the relevant objection form (for taxpayers or tax professionals)
  • provide the supporting information listed below in English.

Supporting information required

If you have previously given us any of the information listed below, you don't need to resend it.

Do you receive an Italian Government pension?

If the answer to this question is yes, provide copies of your Article 17 letters with your objection form. You do not need to provide any other information.

If the answer is no, you need to provide other information (see below). If the answer is yes but you have other foreign income in addition to an Italian Government pension, you need to provide other information (see below).

  • Provide the name of the fund or company paying your pension or annuity.
  • Provide the date your pension or annuity was first paid. This is the first day of the first payment period of the pension (e.g. for a pension paid monthly from 20 March 1999 for the four weeks before the first payment, the pension first became payable on 20 February 1999).
  • Provide the exact amount of personal contributions you paid into your pension fund, in the original currency of the contributions (do not include accrued interest or employer contributions).
  • Provide documents in English from your pension or annuity provider that confirms the amount of your personal contributions.
  • If you receive a German pension, provide your insurance resume (Verisicherungsgerlauf).
  • If you receive an Austrian pension, provide a copy of the Calculation of Assessment Basis statement.
  • If you received a lump sum payment from your pension provider when you retired/commenced your pension, provide the:
    • amount of the lump sum payment you received from your fund
    • value of your pension entitlement (also known as the transfer value or cash equivalent transfer value), the day before you received your lump sum benefit. Your pension provider should be able to give you this information.
  • If you commenced your pension before you came to Australia, provide the date you became an Australian resident for taxation purposes.
  • If your pension is payable for a set period of time (a fixed term pension), provide details of the pension term or period. If you will be entitled to receive a lump sum when the term expires, state the amount of the lump sum.
  • If your pension is a reversionary pension, provide the name, date of birth and gender of the person who will receive the pension following your death (a reversionary pension reverts, or is payable, to your partner or another person after you die).
  • If you received your pension following the death of your partner or another person, provide their name, date of birth and tax file number (if known).
  • If another person is entitled to a share of your pension, provide the percentage of your pension payable to the other person.

Next steps: