ato logo
Search Suggestion:

Lodge a paper tax return

You can use the paper tax return to lodge your tax return by mail, most refunds issue within 50 business days.

Last updated 30 May 2023

How to lodge a paper tax return

To lodge a paper tax return, you will need:

Alternatively, you can order a pack that includes the instructions and 2 copies of the tax return form. You can order these through our publication ordering service online or by phone.

You can also lodge prior years individuals tax return forms and schedules by paper.

You may also need:

Supplementary section

You will also need to complete and lodge the supplementary tax return if you have:

  • distributions from a partnership or trust
  • capital gains
  • foreign source income
  • rental income.

Order the supplementary section return form online through our publication ordering service. Search 'Tax return for individuals (supplementary section)'.

The instructions for the individual supplementary tax return are only available online.

Business and professional items schedule

You will need to lodge the Business and professional items schedule if you have:

  • personal services income (PSI)
  • a net income or loss from a business
  • deferred non-commercial business losses.

To request a copy of the Business and professional items schedule, contact us.

The business and professional items instructions are only available online.

Where to send your tax return

To avoid any delay in the processing of your tax return, use the pre-addressed envelope provided with the tax return instructions, or use the following address:

Australian Taxation Office
GPO Box 9845
[insert the name and postcode of your capital city]

Sending your tax return from outside Australia

If you are sending your paper tax return from overseas, change the address on the pre-addressed envelope by crossing out 'IN YOUR CAPITAL CITY' and replacing it with:


It will help us if you also cross out the barcode above the address.

If you are using your own envelope, mail it to:

Australian Taxation Office
GPO Box 9845

Other ways to lodge

To get your refund faster, generally within 2 weeks, you can lodge your tax return online with myTax.

You can access myTax through your myGov account when you link to the ATO. If you don’t have a myGov account, you will need to create an account and link it to the ATO.

If you need help and support to lodge, check what help is available and if you're eligible.