Watch: A quick demonstration of lodging with myTax
Media: A quick demonstration of lodging with myTax
https://tv.ato.gov.au/ato-tv/media?v=bd1bdiubo71uum%20External Link(Duration: 03:08)
Our online services for individuals is available to access through myGov or the ATO app. You need to create a myGov account and link to the ATO. Within the online product you can access myTax, so there's no need to download any software.
Using myTax you can lodge your tax return on a computer, smartphone or tablet.
The benefits include:
- We can pre-fill most information from your employers, banks, government agencies, health funds and third parties by late July.
- We use a range of systems and controls to protect your information.
- It's available 24 hours a day 7 days a week, so you can lodge at your convenience.
- You'll get your refund faster, generally within 2 weeks (14 days).
- You can upload records you keep in the myDeductions tool to pre-fill your tax return.
- It is available for all individuals and sole traders who want to lodge their own tax return.
- You will receive a lodgment receipt by email to confirm that we have your lodgment.
With myTax you can:
- lodge a tax return from the 2016 income year onwards
- lodge your 2014 and 2015 tax returns, if you're eligible – see lodge a prior year tax return
- tell us if you don't need to lodge (also known as a non-lodgment advice or return not necessary) – see lodge a non-lodgment advice
- review and print your tax return before or after you lodge
- see an estimate and breakdown of your refund or debt (tax owing).
To lodge online with myTax you will need a myGov account with an active link to the ATO. You can also login to our online service for individuals using the ATO app.Start your tax return with myTax
The due date to lodge your tax return is 31 October and most refunds issue within 2 weeks. If you need help or support to lodge, check if you are eligible.
- How to add and review deductions in myTaxExternal Link
- How to complete the business section in myTaxExternal Link
- How to personalise your return in myTaxExternal Link
- How to use the Depreciation and capital allowances tool in myTaxExternal Link