ato logo
Search Suggestion:

Education tax refund - what you need to know

Information about the education tax refund - who is eligible, what expenses can be claimed and how to claim.

Last updated 7 February 2019

The Government announced in the 2012 Budget that the education tax refund (ETR) would be replaced by a new payment called the Schoolkids Bonus. You cannot claim the ETR for expenses incurred in 2011-12, or any excess eligible expenses you carried forward from the previous year.

Transitional arrangements provide for DHS to make a one-off payment to eligible families in June 2012. From 1 January 2013, you may be eligible for the Schoolkids Bonus.

The Schoolkids Bonus stopped in July 2016.


The following information can only be used to help you claim the education tax refund for the 2010-11 and earlier years.

The education tax refund (ETR) helps eligible families and independent students meet the cost of primary and secondary school education.

You can claim the ETR for education expenses you incur while your child attends primary or secondary school.

Families and approved care organisations can claim up to 50% of their eligible educational expenses if either of the following apply:

  • they were entitled to receive Family tax benefit (FTB) Part A for the child
  • a payment was made for the child that stopped them from receiving FTB Part A for that child.

Independent students may also be eligible to claim the ETR.

For the period 1 July 2010 to 30 June 2011, you can claim up to:

  • $794 for each eligible child in primary school - that is, a refund of $397
  • $1,588 for each eligible child in secondary school - that is, a refund of $794

Check to see if you are eligible to claim an ETR for the period 1 July 2010 to 30 June 2011

Check that your education expense is eligible.

The ETR is 50% of eligible education expenses you incurred.

If you have determined that you are eligible to claim but you do not have to lodge a 2011 tax return.

More information about education tax refunds.