Who is eligible
You are eligible to claim an ETR for the period 1 July 2010 to 30 June 2011 if:
- you had eligible education expenses for a child
- the child was in primary or secondary school
- one of the following applied
- you were entitled to receive FTB Part A for the child, which means you must have lodged a claim for family tax benefit (FTB) Part A for the child and had your claim approved by the Family Assistance Office (FAO)
- a payment was made for the child that stopped you from receiving FTB Part A for that child
- your child stopped full-time school during the year and received enough income to stop you receiving FTB Part A.
If you are an independent student attending secondary school or a secondary course of education provided at an educational institution such as a TAFE, you may also be eligible.
Primary or secondary school
If you are uncertain whether your child is registered in a primary or secondary course, you need to contact your state or territory Department of Education.