ato logo
Search Suggestion:

myGovID and RAM for tax professionals

How tax and BAS agents can use myGovID and Relationship Authorisation Manager (RAM) to access our online services.

Last updated 15 June 2022

Accessing Online services for agents

To access Online services for agents (OSFA), Access Manager, the Australian Business Register (ABR) and other government online services, you'll need to use:

  • myGovID – an app you download to your smart device which lets you prove who you are when logging into government online services. This is different to a myGov account, which lets you, as an individual, link to government online services from the one place.
  • Relationship Authorisation Manager (RAM) – an authorisation service that allows you to act on behalf of a practice online when linked with your myGovID. You'll use your myGovID to log in to RAM.

Setting up myGovID and RAM

Each person acting on behalf of a practice needs their own myGovID and to be authorised in RAM.


myGovID is your digital identity and unique to you. To access our online services, you'll need to set up your myGovIDExternal Link with at least a Standard identity strength.

When setting up your myGovID use a personal email address. myGovID is your personal digital identity and your identity documents will be linked to the email you choose. Once set up, your myGovID can be used for both personal and business matters, and you'll continue to use the same myGovID even if you change jobs.

The myGovID app uses the security features in your device, like fingerprint or face recognition, to protect your personal information. Your information is protected, including from your employer, who cannot access, use or cancel your myGovID.

To set up your myGovID on multiple devices, or to change to a new device, see Setting up your myGovID againExternal Link.


Before anyone can act on behalf of a practice a principal authorityExternal Link (person responsible for the practice) needs to link their myGovID to the practice in RAM.

You must be authorisedExternal Link in RAM by a principal authority or authorisation administrator to act on behalf of the practice. A principal authority or authorisation administrator will issue an authorisation requestExternal Link to your email. This does not need to go to your myGovID email address - it can be sent to your work email address.

Once you’ve accepted the authorisation request, you can use your myGovID to log in to our online services on behalf of your practice.

Using myGovID and RAM

Logging in with myGovID

When logging into an online service with your myGovID, you'll be directed to enter the email address you used to set up your myGovID. A four-digit code will appear in your browser and you'll need to enter the code in your myGovID app.

Tip: select Remember me when you enter your email address on the myGovID login page. When using the same browser, you won't need to enter your email address each time you log in; you'll only need to accept the code in your myGovID app.

Responsible use of myGovID, RAM and online services

Using myGovID and RAM makes it easy for authorised persons to access relevant government online services anywhere and at any time. This doesn't change your obligation to interact professionally when using our online services.

You're responsible for using your myGovID to log in to OSFA and other government online services. You should never let anyone else use your myGovID, provide your log in code or enter your log in code for anyone. Each employee of a practice must set up their myGovID on a unique device; staff cannot share a myGovID or device.

You should only access records and transact where authorised to do so. Your principal authority and authorisation administrator can track your access to OSFA on behalf of the practice. Consult your practice policies for guidance on accessing and using government online services.

Your ongoing access to our systems is dependent on appropriate use of myGovID.

It's important you keep your myGovID, and your device, secure. Enable security features in your device such as fingerprint or face identification and avoid leaving your device unattended.

If you suspect someone has inappropriately accessed your myGovID, your device has been stolen or misplaced, or you’ve received an unprompted notification or email, report it straight awayExternal Link.

There is more information available on myGovID termsExternal Link of use.


If you're experiencing issues, support is available:

If you continue to experience issues, you can phone us for assistance.