• Departing Australia superannuation payment (DASP)

    If you have worked and earned super while visiting Australia on a temporary visa, you can apply to have this super paid to you as a departing Australia superannuation payment (DASP) after you leave.

    There are requirements which you will need to meet to claim your DASP.

    Before submitting your DASP application, check with your employer that they have paid all the super they are required to.

    If it has been six months or more since you left Australia and you have not claimed DASP, your super fund will transfer your super to us.

    You can claim your super either online or by lodging a paper application.

    Online applications

    Online applications are free of charge and can be submitted through the DASP online application systemExternal Link for both super funds and ATO-held money.

    Online applications will be verified with the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) to confirm your immigration status and visa information. To enable the verification process, we hold all DASP applications for 14 days before forwarding them to super funds for processing.

    You can only submit a DASP claim after you have left Australia and your visa has ceased to be in effect (expired or cancelled). However, we recommend you start your online DASP application while you are still in Australia and have all relevant information handy.

    Take note of the information you entered, as you will need the same details to resume your saved application and submit after you leave Australia.

    Where your claim is $5,000 or more, your super fund will require certified copies of your proof of identification documents.

    It is much easier to certify the required documents while you are in Australia, so we recommend you do this before you leave. Check with your super fund to confirm what documentation is required.

    Paper applications

    Paper applications incur a cost, as they require you to obtain and pay for a certificate of immigration status from the DIBP.

    You can request a certificate of immigration status using Form 1194 Certification of immigration status and/or request to cancel a Temporary Resident visa (PDF, 290KB)External Link.

    The certificate will be emailed directly to your nominated super fund.

    You need to complete the Application for departing Australia superannuation payment form and send it to your super fund to claim your DASP.

    For ATO-held money, you need to use the appropriate form and send it directly to us.

    If your super has been transferred to us because it has been six months or more after you have left Australia and you have not claimed DASP, you can still claim your DASP from us using the DASP online application systemExternal Link.

    See also:

      Last modified: 01 Sep 2017QC 24169