Show download pdf controls
  • Lodge a prior year tax return

    If you still need to lodge a tax return for a previous year, it’s important to get up to date as soon as possible to reduce the risk of a penalty.

    If you're not sure if you need to lodge a return, go to Work out if you need to lodge a tax return.

    If you need to lodge a tax return for a prior year, you have three options:

    If you don't need to lodge a tax return, you still need to tell us. The quickest way is using our online services through myGov to lodge non-lodgment advice.

    You can also lodge prior year non-lodgment advice forms by paper. These can be found online at Prior years individuals tax return forms and schedules.

    If you’re having difficulties meeting your tax obligations, contact us as soon as possible to discuss your circumstances.

    Lodge online

    You can lodge previous year's tax returns online with myTax from 2016.

    Lodge online

    You may also be able to lodge online for 2014 and 2015. Check if you are eligible:

    For 2013 and earlier, online lodgment for tax returns isn't available.

    If you are not eligible to use myTax 2014 or 2015 or want to lodge an earlier year's return, you will need to lodge either with a registered tax agent or via paper.

    Last modified: 07 Jun 2021QC 32111