myTax 2019 How to personalise your tax return
Use the Personalise return screen to select items that apply to you.
On this page
Completing this section
This information may not apply to the current year. Check the content carefully to ensure it is applicable to your circumstances.
End of attention
We make some selections for you, based on:
- pre-fill information, or
- data we have on our records, such as information from your last year's tax return, or your uploaded data from the ATO app's myDeductions tool.
You cannot remove any selections we make for you, even if you think the circumstances do not apply to you. For more information, read Can't remove a selection? below.
If you've used our ATO app's myDeductions tool during the year but not yet uploaded your data to the ATO, read myDeductions tool below.
Make other selections that may apply to include them in your tax return. This will tailor your tax return to your situation on the Prepare return screen.
Watch our tutorial for a demonstration on how to personalise your tax return.
- Check the answer to the question Were you an Australian resident for tax purposes from 1 July 2018 to 30 June 2019?
For more information, see Were you an Australian resident for tax purposes.
If Yes, go to step 3.
If No, go to step 2.
- If you were a resident for part of the year, enter the dates you were a resident.
If you were not a resident at any time during the year, leave both date fields blank.
- Answer the question Did you have a spouse at any time between 1 July 2018 and 30 June 2019?
For more information, see Did you have a spouse?
Note: We may have populated this for you based on information from your 2017–18 tax return.
- Make selections that may apply to include them in your tax return.
If you are unsure which items apply to you, or to read more about those items, select from the links below:
If you can't see an item to select, it's because it will already be shown on the Prepare return screen or is not required to be included in your tax return.
- Select Next.
You can delete any pre-filled information that is not relevant to you from the Prepare return screen.
Want to lodge a nil return?
If you don’t need to select any items because you wish to lodge a nil return, then select Next at the bottom of the Personalise return screen, and follow the instructions.
Watch our tutorial
This video shows you how to personalise your tax return.
You can watch How to personalise your myTax returnExternal Link in full screen on atoTV.
Can't see an item to select?
Certain items apply to everyone and they are always displayed on the Prepare return screen.
These items are:
Also, you are not required to make a selection on the Personalise return screen for any of the following:
- low income tax offset
- low and middle income tax offset
- PAYG instalments
- Higher Education Loan Program (HELP), Student Financial Supplement Scheme (SFSS), Trade Support Loan (TSL) debt, Student Start-up Loan (SSL) or ABSTUDY Student Start-up Loan (ABSTUDY SSL).
We use the information in your tax return and our records to include these in your notice of assessment.