ato logo
Search Suggestion:

Small business advice

Advice is available for small business to resolve tax technical interpretation queries not resolved online or by phone.

Last updated 1 February 2023

Issues we can help you with

If you are running a small business and have been unable to resolve your issue using our online information or by phone, we can give you advice on:

  • new or changed legislation
  • complex tax law issues
  • early engagement on a major and complex transaction you are considering.

How you can connect

You can use the private ruling form in Online services for business to seek early engagement or to request a formal private ruling.

You can seek help via Online services for agents if you are representing a client in a professional capacity as a tax agent or BAS agent. Submit a private ruling form following the instructions in the Online services for agents user guide.

How we resolve your issue

Please make sure your contact details are correct, including phone number, email address and Australian business number (when available).

Generally, we will call to discuss your request and timeframes as we can often resolve your question by phone. Some issues may take longer to resolve so we will keep you informed of progress.