If you're looking for a rewarding career, join us to help tackle big tax avoiders. You'll lead diverse and challenging projects that help fund critical services and infrastructure for the Australian community.
In 2021–22, we collected $648 billion in tax. Our net tax collections were up 14% from the previous year, which was a $64 billion increase. We also achieved total revenue effects of $15.5 billion through our activities to improve taxpayer compliance.
One key contributor to driving these positive revenue outcomes for the community is the Tax Avoidance Taskforce (TAT).
The TAT helps address tax avoidance by:
- optimising tax performance of large corporate groups and ensuring they pay the right amount of tax, with an increased focus on medium and emerging large businesses
- increasing scrutiny for private groups and high wealth individuals. This focus will improve tax governance and reduce profit shifting and failing to disclose foreign sourced income
- pursuing intermediaries and promoters of tax avoidance schemes
- preventing abuse of trusts and high-risk trust arrangements.
The growth of this capability provides the opportunity for energetic, focused and driven people to join the ATO.
The taskforce ensures multinational enterprises, large public and private businesses (and associated individuals) pay the right amount of tax in Australia. We have jobs for a mix of highly specialised candidates with targeted expertise, as well as general tax officers, to deliver compliance activities working in our:
- Client Engagement group – we administer tax and super systems through working with the community.
- Smarter Data program – we drive the evolution of data use through analytics integration, data democratisation and visualisation, artificial intelligence and more.
- Law Design and Practice group – we ensure the tax and super laws are informed, understood, administered and applied with confidence.
Meet Simon, Assistant Commissioner
Simon speaks about his experience working at the ATO.
Media: Meet Simon, Assistant Commissioner, ATO
https://tv.ato.gov.au/ato-tv/media?v=bi9or7odh7jjkhExternal Link (Duration: 00:33)
Join the ATO and experience work variety that gives you endless career opportunities within one organisation.
If you are ready for a job with:
- meaningful, diverse and challenging work
- unique work that will shape your career path and help you stand out from the crowd
- genuine flexibility to pursue both professional and personal goals.
We are looking to fill jobs with:
- Criminal Investigators
- Lawyers, Prosecutors and Litigators
- Tax Directors and Tax Managers
- Tax Specialists with specific experience and knowledge across a range of areas, including:
- International Tax
- Investment Industry Strategy
- Law Interpretation
- Goods and services tax (GST)
- Transfer Pricing
- Commercial deals
- Data Analysts.
We’d like to hear from you, if you have experience in any of these fields and you are interested in working with us. You can add your details to the employment registerExternal Link and we'll contact you if we identify job opportunities that suit your skills. You may also like to set up a job alertExternal Link to be advised of jobs suited to you.