Show download pdf controls
  • How to object to a decision

    An objection must be lodged in writing (on our form or in a letter) within the time limit. There is no fee.

    On this page:

    Tax professionals, non-individuals and sole traders

    The easiest way to submit an objection is by using our online form. It helps you provide the necessary information and sets out the correct wording.

    Next step:


    You can submit your objection using our objection form for taxpayers. It will guide you through what to include in your objection.

    Next step:

    Authorising another person

    You can authorise another person to lodge your objection for you. They can be:

    • a tax agent, spouse, relative or friend
    • a legal personal representative such as  
      • a trustee
      • an executor
      • an administrator of a deceased estate
      • a person holding a power of attorney.

    Alternative options for taxpayers

    If you choose not to use our form or you can't access it, you will need to know about:

    What to include in your objection

    Your objection must:

    • include full details of why you think our decision is wrong
    • contain a declaration that the information provided in the objection and supporting documentation is true and correct
    • be signed and dated.

    To avoid delays, you should also include:

    • your full details – if you're representing a taxpayer objecting to a decision, the full name, contact details and tax file number (TFN) or Australian business number (ABN) of the taxpayer you are representing
    • full details of the decision you are objecting to, including the relevant year or tax period (where applicable)
    • the relevant facts, arguments, information and documents that support the reasons you disagree with our decision – this may include references to legislation, rulings, and case law
    • any supporting documents and information that relates to the decision being reviewed (we may still request more information to help us decide your objection) including       


    For your own objection

    You must include a signed declaration with your objection, certifying that the information and documents are true and correct in the following form (ensure you sign and date it):

    • 'I certify that the information contained in this document, and any attached documents, is true and correct'.
    • Your signature.
    • The date.

    For someone else's objection

    When lodging an objection on behalf of someone else, include the following declaration and sign it:

    • 'I certify this document and attached documents have been prepared in accordance with the information supplied by the individual or entity identified on this request and in the attached documents'.
    • 'I have received a declaration from the individual or entity identified in this request and in the attached documents, stating that the information provided in each document is true and correct'.
    • 'I am authorised by the individual or entity identified in this request and in the attached documents, to submit this objection request to the Commissioner'.
    • Your signature.
    • The date.

    You also need to obtain a signed declaration from the taxpayer (or their authorised representative) that certifies that:

    • the information they provided to you to prepare the objection is true and correct
    • they authorise you to submit the objection on their behalf.

    You do not need to include this additional declaration with the objection – but you will need to present it if we ask for it.

    Where to submit your objection

    You can lodge your objection by fax to 1300 139 031.

    You can post your objection to:
    Australian Taxation Office
    PO Box 3524
    ALBURY  NSW  2640

    Last modified: 02 Jul 2021QC 33792