It can be hard for individuals, businesses and not-for-profits to keep on top of lodgment and payment due dates.
Here's a few tips and resources to help you stay on track with your due dates throughout the year.
Tax and super obligations vary depending on whether you’re an individual or running a business.
Your 'tax and super position' refers to the current status of your obligations, for instance:
- whether your lodgments are up to date, or behind
- whether you are due a refund or owe money
- if you do owe money, whether your payments are up to date or overdue.
Knowing your position means you'll have a greater understanding of what you need to do, when to ask for help, and the support options available to you.
One way to know your current position is to use our Online services.
ATO Online services allows you to access a range of tax and super services in one place. This includes reminders of due dates, online lodgment of your activity statements and tax returns, keeping track of super and updating your details. Our online services are convenient, secure and accessible at any time.
If you're a business, you'll need a myGovID and Relationship Authorisation Manager (RAM) to access a range of our online services.
- how to get started with myGov and link to ATO online services
- how to use ATO online services for individuals and sole traders
- how to use Online services for business (including SMSF auditors)
- Accessing online services for myGovID and RAM
- Online services for agents
A good record keeping system will help you manage your tax and super obligations. This will make it easier to report and lodge on time with us.
- Keeping your individual tax records
- Record keeping for not-for-profits
- Record keeping for business
- Digital record keeping for business
- Record keeping evaluation tool
The ATO app allows you to manage your tax and super on the go. You can use the app to download key due dates into your phone's calendar to help you remember all your due dates.
If you're an individual or sole trader, you can use myDeductions in the app to keep your expense and income records in one place.
Standard Business Reporting (SBR) is a standard approach to online or digital record-keeping to simplify business reporting obligations.
You can prepare and lodge reports to us directly from your SBR-enabled business software, using information you record as part of the day-to-day operations of your business.
See also:Tips and resources to help individuals, businesses and not-for-profits manage their tax and super obligations.