Australian residents – TFN application
How Australian residents for tax purposes of all ages apply for a TFN, if you don't have an Australian passport.
On this page
Eligibility to apply
Australian residents can apply for a TFN at any age.
The fastest way to apply is online using myGovID, however you will need to be 15 years old or older and have a passport to apply online using myGovID.
If you don’t have a passport or are under 15 years old, use one of the other application options.
You're an Australian resident if you're either an Australian citizen or Australian resident for tax purposes.
It is free to apply for a TFN.
If you are unsure of your residency status, check your tax residency.
If you're not a Australian resident, find out how you can apply for a TFN.
Options to apply
As an Australian resident your options to apply depend on the identity documents you can provide. You can:
You can also check our alternative options for:
Apply at Australia Post
You can apply for your TFN at a participating Australia Post retail outletExternal Link if you're able to attend an interview. There is no fee for lodging your TFN application with Australia Post.
To apply through Australia Post, you need to:
- Complete the online formExternal Link – the form is not supported by Internet Explorer, use another browser.
- Print the application summary, which will include your application reference number.
- Book your interviewExternal Link at a participating Australia Post outlet within 30 days of completing your online form.
- Attend your interview and take your application summary and original proof of identity documentsExternal Link to the interview.
- Sign your application at Australia Post at your interview to complete your TFN application.
You should receive your TFN within 28 days from when we receive your completed application and the required documents have been sighted by Australia Post.
To prevent delays, don't lodge another application. We appreciate your patience during the processing period.
If you haven't received your TFN notification letter after 28 days, contact us.
Note: Changes to Australia Post services due to COVID-19 may affect lodging your application. Check Australia posts current COVID-19 impactsExternal Link for more information.
Apply at a Services Australia centre
You can apply in person at a Services AustraliaExternal Link service centre if you're a Services Australia customer.
You will need to complete a paper TFN application form:
- Tax file number – application or enquiry for individuals (NAT 1432)
- Tax file number – application for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people (NAT 1589) – if you don't have enough identity documents, you will need a referee to complete the proof of identity on page 7.
You can order a copy of the form onlineThis link opens in a new window and provide Services Australia with your original proof of identity documents.
See the application instructions or proof of identity documents for the documents you need to provide.
If you have authorised Centrelink to receive your TFN from the ATO, select To give to Centrelink as your reason for needing a TFN.
Once processed, we'll send your TFN to both you and Centrelink.
Apply by post
If you can't apply through any of the other available channels, you'll need to complete a paper form.
You can get a copy of the paper form online or by phone through the ATO Publication Ordering ServiceThis link opens in a new window.
Send your completed TFN application and certified copies of your proof of identity documents to the address on the form.
You must provide certified copies of your proof of identity documents. Don't send your original identity documents to us as they may not be returned to you.
How citizens and residents for tax purposes of all ages apply for a TFN, if you don't have an Australian passport.