Foreign passport holders, permanent migrants and temporary visitors – TFN application
You can apply for a tax file number online if you meet these three conditions:
Apply online for a TFN
- You are a foreign passport holder, permanent migrant or temporary visitor.
- You are already in Australia.
- Your visa is one of the following:
- a permanent migrant visa
- a visa with work rights
- an overseas student visa
- a visa allowing you to stay in Australian indefinitely (including New Zealanders automatically granted a visa on arrival).
To apply online you must have a valid passport or relevant travel documents.
You don't have to provide proof of identity documents – we will compare your personal and travel document details with Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) records.
Within 28 days, we will send your TFN to the Australian address you give us on your application.
Valid working visas include:
- Working holiday makers (subclass 417)
- Entertainment (subclass 420)
- Sport (subclass 421)
- Work and holiday makers (subclass 462).
Asylum seekers may use a Bridging Visa and their passport or travel document number will be their IMMI Card number. However, for previous identification cards the passport or travel document number will be PLO56 or PL56.
Australian citizens or born in Australia
If you were born in Australia or have taken out Australian citizenship, you cannot use this service.. Go to Australian residents – TFN Application.
Foreign passport holders, permanent migrants and temporary visitors can apply for a TFN –only if they are already in Australia.