Show download pdf controls
  • Foreign passport holders, permanent migrants and temporary visitors – TFN application

    You can apply for a tax file number online if you meet these three conditions:

    1. You are a foreign passport holder, permanent migrant or temporary visitor.
    2. You are already in Australia.
    3. Your visa is one of the following:      
      • a permanent resident visa
      • a visa with work rights
      • an overseas student visa
      • a visa allowing you to stay in Australian indefinitely (including New Zealanders automatically granted a visa on arrival).
    Apply online for a TFN

    To apply online you must have a valid passport or relevant travel documents.

    Do not send your passport or identification documents to us – we will verify your identity with the Department of Home Affair's records.

    Within 28 days, we will send your TFN to the Australian address you give us on your application.

    Note: Changes to Australia Post services due to COVID-19 may impact this expected timeframe. Please see Australia post updatesExternal Link for more information.

    Once you have received your TFN it's important that you keep it and all your personal information secure to prevent identity theft.

    Working visas

    Valid working visas include:

    • Working holiday makers (subclass 417)
    • Entertainment (subclass 420)
    • Sport (subclass 421)
    • Work and holiday makers (subclass 462).

    Asylum seekers

    Asylum seekers may use a Bridging Visa and their passport or travel document number will be their IMMI Card number. However, for previous identification cards the passport or travel document number will be PLO56 or PL56.

    Australian citizens or born in Australia

    If you were born in Australia or have taken out Australian citizenship, you cannot use this service. Go to Australian residents – TFN Application.

    See also:

    Last modified: 11 Jun 2020QC 22606