Explanatory MemorandumCirculated By Authority of the Minister for Tertiary Education, Skills, Jobs and Workplace Relations
NOTES ON CLAUSES
Clause 1 - Short title
This clause provides for the Bill, when it is enacted, to be cited as the Higher Education Support Amendment (Demand Driven Funding System and Other Measures) Act 2011.
Clause 2 - Commencement
Subclause 2(1) inserts a three column table setting out commencement information for various provisions of the Bill. Each provision of the Bill specified in column 1 of the table commences (or is taken to have commenced) in accordance with column 2 of the table and any other statement in column 2 has effect according to its terms.
The table has the effect of providing for:
- sections 1 to 3, Schedule 1, Schedule 3 and any provisions in the Bill not otherwise covered by the table to commence on Royal Assent; and
- Schedule 2 to commence on 1 January 2012.
A Note makes it clear that these commencement times will not be amended by any later amendments of the Bill (once enacted).
Subclause 2(2) provides that information in column 3 of the table does not form part of the Bill. Information in column 3 may be inserted or varied in any published version of the Bill (once enacted).
Clause 3 - Schedule(s)
Provides that each Act that is specified in a Schedule is amended or repealed as set out in the applicable items in the Schedule and that any other item in a Schedule has effect according to its terms.
For ease of description, this explanatory memorandum uses the following abbreviations:
- ' HESA ' means the Higher Education Support Act 2003.
- ' SLE ' means Student Learning Entitlement as defined in Schedule 1 and section 73-1 of HESA.
- ' Table A providers' means those higher education providers listed at section 16-15 of HESA.
- ' Table B providers' means those higher education providers listed at section 16-20 of HESA.