Explanatory Memorandum(Circulated by authority of the Minister for Immigration and Border Protection, the Honourable Peter Dutton MP)
Schedule 7 - Amendments of Acts referring to the Comptroller-General of Customs
Agricultural and Veterinary Chemicals (Administration) Act 1992
Item 1 - Paragraph 69B(4)(b)
744. Subclause 15(3) of the ABF Bill provides that the person who holds office as the ABF Commissioner is also the Comptroller-General of Customs. A definition of "Comptroller-General of Customs" will be included in the Customs Act by Part 1 of Schedule 1 to this Bill.
745. Paragraph 69B(4)(b) of the Agricultural and Veterinary Chemicals (Administration) Act 1992 (the AGVET Act) presently contains a reference to the Comptroller-General of Customs, as the person to whom notification must be given of the prohibited importation of certain substances under the AGVET Act.
746. This item inserts into section 69B of the AGVET Act a cross-reference to the definition of "Comptroller-General of Customs" as set out in the Customs Act.
Remuneration and Allowances Act 1990
Item 2 - Part 3 of Schedule 2 (table item dealing with the Comptroller-General of Customs)
747. Prior to 1995, when the official position of Comptroller-General of Customs was replaced with CEO, the remuneration and allowances of the Comptroller-General of Customs were determined under the Remuneration and Allowances Act 1990.
748. This item removes the long redundant reference to the Comptroller-General of Customs in this Act and the amount of salary for that position.