New Business Tax System (Consolidation, Value Shifting, Demergers and Other Measures) Act 2002 (90 of 2002)
Schedule 16 Demerger relief
Part 2 Dividend relief
Income Tax Assessment Act 1936
10 At the end of section 44
(2) Subsections (3) and (4) apply to a demerger dividend unless the head entity elects in writing, within one month after it decides which of its shareholders will receive ownership interests in the demerged entity under the demerger, that those subsections do not apply to the total demerger dividend for all shareholders.
(3) This section applies to the demerger dividend as if it had not been paid out of profits.
(4) A demerger dividend is not assessable income or exempt income.
(5) However, subsections (3) and (4) do not apply to a demerger dividend unless, just after the demerger, CGT assets owned by the demerged entity or a demerger subsidiary representing at least 50% by market value of all the CGT assets (or a reasonable approximation of market value) owned by the demerged entity and its demerger subsidiaries are used, directly or indirectly, in one or more businesses carried on by one or more of those entities.
(6) In applying subsection (5), disregard any assets that are ownership interests in a demerger subsidiary unless they are used in a business referred to in that subsection.