Higher Education Legislation Amendment (Student Services and Amenities) Act 2011 (130 of 2011)

Schedule 1   Student services and amenities

Higher Education Support Act 2003

34   After subsection 193-1(4)


Requests for SA-HELP assistance

(4A) A higher education provider must notify a person in writing how to *meet the tax file number requirements if:

(a) the person is enrolled with the provider in a *course of study or *bridging course for overseas-trained professionals; and

(b) the provider has imposed a *student services and amenities fee on the person; and

(c) the person has, on or before the day on which the fee is payable, completed, signed and given to the *appropriate officer of the provider a *request for Commonwealth assistance in relation to a student services and amenities fee imposed on the person for a period during which he or she is enrolled in the course or bridging course; and

(d) in that request, the person requests *SA-HELP assistance for the student services and amenities fee; and

(e) the request does not include a number that purports to be the person's *tax file number.

(4B) The provider must notify the person under subsection (4A):

(a) on or before the day the *student services and amenities fee is payable; or

(b) within 7 days after the person gives the provider the *request for Commonwealth assistance;

whichever is earlier.