Show download pdf controls
  • Copies of tax documents request

    Most requests for copies of tax documents can be made using our online services. The online service you use will depend on whether you're a tax professional, legal practitioner, or individual or sole trader.

    Find out about:

    Tax professionals

    Online services for agents is the quickest and easiest way to access details of your clients' processed tax returns from 2010 onwards (even if you didn't prepare or lodge the return).

    You can request copies prior to 2010 of:

    • tax returns
    • payment summaries and income statements (individuals only)
    • notices of assessment.

    Next steps:

    This will ensure your request goes to the appropriate area for actioning.

    See also:

    Legal practitioners

    You should submit your clients' requests via the Online services for business , as we no longer accept requests submitted by mail or fax.

    You can request copies of:

    • tax returns
    • payment summaries and income statements(individuals only)
    • notices of assessment.

    Next steps:

    Individuals and sole traders

    The quickest and easiest way to review and print copies of your tax documents is by using our online services (linked via myGovExternal Link). The documents you can review and print are:

    • lodged income tax returns, from 2010 onwards
    • notice of assessments, from 2010 onward
    • income statements – if your employer reports through Single Touch Payroll (STP)
    • lodged activity statements (sole traders only).

    In some circumstances you may need to phone us instead of using our online services. Examples include:

    • if you can't register for a myGov account
    • if you need copies of tax documents prior to 2010
    • if you need payment summaries – if your employer does not report through STP.

    See also:

    Last modified: 29 Mar 2021QC 56805